“Special Olympics New York will host the 2023 State Fall Games Oct. 20-21. The Games will bring hundreds of athletes to the Capital Region from all across the state for a weekend of competition and a celebration of inclusion with the Glens Falls community.” (https://www.specialolympics-ny.org/community/2023-fall-games/)
The Community Engagement Group is happy to present an exciting opportunity to volunteer with the Special Olympics New York during the 2023 State Fall Games!!
There are two opportunities to volunteer:
10/19/2023 (Thursday): 1-5 p.m.
4 spots needed.
Duties: Be part of what it takes to get the competition sites and venues ready! You will be helping with anything from sport-specific set-up to signage. First, we will set up the Adirondack Sports Complex for bocce and softball competitions. Then we will drive a few minutes down the road to Morse Athletic Complex, where we will set up for soccer and softball competitions.
Qualifications: A can-do attitude with flexibility and the ability to be on your feet for stretches of time. Please dress in sneakers and comfy clothes. Some tasks will require heavy lifting of 25 pounds or more.
This is during standard work hours, so VTO would apply. Please coordinate with your supervisor prior to signing up.
10/21/2023 (Saturday): 11 a.m.-4 p.m.)
6 spots needed.
Duties: Get in on the game day action! Volunteers will assist as court monitors and scorekeepers, and with taking measurements on the courts.
Qualifications: Ability to perform assigned duties for the duration of the competition, be flexible with assignments, and able to be on your feet for stretches of time.
This is during off hours, so VTO would not apply. However, this is an opportunity to interact with the athletes and cheer them on. Additionally, family members over the age of 13 are welcome to volunteer, so you can make it a family outing!
Note: Any volunteers aged 13-15 must be accompanied by an adult, and anyone under the age of 13 is welcome to join as a fan with an adult to cheer from the sidelines!
To sign up for a shift, please follow these steps:
- Visit our volunteer portal
- Create a new volunteer profile or sign into your profile if you’ve volunteered with Special Olympics New York before.
- On the red bar at the top of the page, hover over Volunteer Opportunities and click “Search Events.”
- Click 2023 State Fall Games-Glens Falls-Oct 20-21.
- Under “Invitation code,” type Excelsior
- Click search.
- Sign up for “Set Up-Thursday” and/or “Bocce-Afternoon.”
- Repeat the steps outlined above if signing up additional individuals (child, partner, etc.) – Each person signing up must create their own profile to indicate their date of birth on their profile and fill out the volunteer code of conduct.
We worked with this event previously and it was an uplifting, fun experience! We currently have 6 spots for each day, but more can be added if we have more interest. We want to show these amazing athletes the support of the Excelsior community!