One Veteran’s Story of Success at Excelsior

There are many paths to success in college, and your previous experiences influence how you pursue your career goals. One Excelsior student shared how he came to Excelsior after being in the military and how the COVID-19 pandemic influenced his experience.

I had been in the military for four years when I decided to pursue my college degree. 

I remember the day I got my last grade from my professor that ensured my graduation. I thought wow, finally COVID had just set in and everything seemed to prove exceptionally challenging with co-workers and family members continuously getting sick. But l was too close to let COVID or anything else stop me from obtaining a goal that had taken so many years to acquire. 

A liberal arts student who is now a paralegal, this Excelsior alum shared what made Excelsior different for him.

I did notice something different about the way Excelsior went about helping their students reach their goals. Excelsior was the first, after many colleges I had attended along my journey that actually gave me credit for all of my former classes. From work experience to military training, Excelsior granted me a fair amount of credit for the work l had already put in. Without that compassion, I may have never succeeded. Thank you for caring enough to make things happen, Excelsior.

This Excelsior alum is a dedicated Marine who cares about preventing veteran suicide. His advice to others is to focus on the success of others to help you stay motivated and focused.

Thanks for sharing your story!

By Mary [uConnect]
Mary [uConnect] Customer Success Manager