Find Support Through Excelsior Connections

Here at Excelsior, support around your identities may be closer than you think. Meet Stephen Stewart!

Stephen is with 20 years of experience in the mental health field and 17 years as a critical care nurse. Stephen’s been teaching for 8 years now, and believes this is his calling.

But he’s not stopping there. Stephen’s a lifelong learner and is currently working on a PhD in nursing.

In addition to his passions for nursing, healthcare, and learning, Stephen’s identity as a gay man is also very important to him, and what draws him to build community at Excelsior. Stephen says, “I am drawn to this community as a man who identifies as gay, and married to my husband David. I have experienced trauma and violence, both emotionally and physically, due to my sexual orientation and my desire is to share my experiences with others in hopes they may benefit.”

Anchoring your career experiences in your identity is so important as you consider the career path you want to take and the impact you want to have. Know that people like Stephen are here to support you both academically and personally as you continue on your own journey in lifelong learning.

Stephen’s advice to you is, “Don’t be afraid to be who you are, especially here at Excelsior!”

By Mary [uConnect]
Mary [uConnect] Customer Success Manager